Anyone know what it is ?

I do hope someone can help me out.

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 949

Could be a Phygelius... how about a pic of the leaves/the shape of the plant? Then you will get a better answer and not just a guess like mine image

Do hope this helps ?

• Thanks Sara, just cant find it in any of the wifes books.

• Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 531

Not an expert at all, but the word croscosmia came into my mind - we used to have something with a flower of similar shape; self-seeded a lot I think ... but I'm remembering a much taller stem: if it is going reach, say, 40cm (ish) it might just be crocosmia.If it is I shall be so chuffed I recognised something.

No idea about the leaves though.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,788

No sorry, not crocosmia - it has sword-like leaves (a bit like a gladioli).

I recognise the plant but it's name escapes me at the moment image

Flower looks a bit like a phygelius, but they're much bigger than that aren't they?

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 
  • Sorry but we have that and the flowers have lots more flower heads.Leaves are also nothing like them.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

... I would say that's Phygelius 'African Queen' [Cape fuchsia as already stated by Sara]... perhaps the original plant was dug out, as it often is as it's invasive and spreads by suckering... and these are suckers that have remained and are now growing away.. it's difficult to get rid of completely unless all these suckers are removed......

the leaves of these plants are rounded at the base, as can be seen, but get more elongated as the plants grow....

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,043

this plant looks tiny, how big is it willie?

I'll be very surprised if this is phygelius

• 15 - 18 cm  max.

that's 8 inches max in old thinking. Phygelius don't come that small.

I'll have a look round

• cypresseedcypresseed Posts: 12

Hello it looks like a Heuchera, dk which one try this-

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 5,109

There are some heucheras with small green leaves and 6 to 8 inch spikes of vivid red flowers flamethrower is one of the modern cultivars but the ones i know are older.

Spanish songs in Andalucia
    The shooting sites in the days of '39
    Oh, please, leave the vendanna open
    Fredrico Lorca is dead and gone

..yes I think you're right about them being Heuchera's... well done..  obviously not many Heuchera growers on here...image

I do a nice line in Heuchera killing Salino. I have one surviving Palace Purple

they don't look like heuchera flowers as I know them but new types may have been bred. Or heuchera leaves.

• tuppence5tuppence5 Posts: 8

try looking at "Cortusa matthioli "   or  " Delphinium nudeicaule"   both these plants are small (8") high with upright erect stems.  They are both rockery plants - the flowers are very similar to your pictures. hope this helps

could be. Only ever seen the standard mauve. Not much info on the www is there

...I have to dispute Cortusa matthioli as the flowers on this are pinkish, more rounded bell shaped as opposed to elongated tubes in this case... also Delphinium nudicaule, whilst the flowers are a similar colour, on the Delphinium there is a 'spur' on the flower which is also hooked... I see nothing like that on these.....   interesting though those plants are...

Yes, definitely not the delph. The leaves of this plant have someting in common with the cortusa though. Not convinced