Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bug Hotel & Hibernation Area Finished :)

So i made a bug hotel and a general wildlife hibernation/chill/snooze area image

all material was from a builders skip (i asked permission of course)

• addictaddict Posts: 659

Hi Hefty image

Looks great. Wish more people would do this.

Everyone has an area in their garden that they can tuck a little bug hotel away and the fact its all reclaimed material is even better! 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,845

Great to see Hefty.image

A real antidote to all those 'How can I kill it' threads

• Nice one, Hefty!: I hope you get lots of overwintering beasties vying to share your inventive 'des res' quite soon. I'm sure the exceptionally mild Autumn weather is about to revert to 'norm' fairly soon!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,902

Brilliant image

I love the idea of your insects 'chilling and snoozing'  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,003

I've been wondering about bug hotels. Is it a case of 'build it and they will come' or do you do something to attract the residents?

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • addictaddict Posts: 659

One of the gardens I was working in had several sheets of white corrugated plastic  left in a corner. When I went to move them and lifted the top sheet way it was teaming with hibernating lacewings. Put it back and left it til the spring.

Whatever you leave in the garden will be a winter home for something. 

Sorry it's sideways on -  but some of you will have seen this 'bijou hotel' in one of my previous posts. *This is the 2014 pic; this has now been well 'occupied' by mason bees, earwigs, lacewings, wasps, ants etc... [summer 2015 update/ personal inspection]. I revisit Austria each mid-summer, so I'll try to post again by July 2016!!!

• HeftyHefty Posts: 370

Ah wow thanks so much for your kind response! im sooo pleased its inspired some of you to make yer own etc image

v cooooool ! image