Forum home Tools and techniques

Cleaning decking next to plants.

I didnt really think about this when i designed my decking, but i dont think i can stop cleaning chemicals going onto plants.  

Is there anything that can be used that will not kill them?  Its a bit slippy from constantly getting wet, but isnt dirty.  It needs de-slipping rather than cleaning is what i mean. 

• a1154a1154 Posts: 859

Tetley if you use just pressure washer / water - how often do you end up doing it??

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,253

Decking does get slippery in wet weather and isn't likely to dry out now till the warmer end of spring or summer.

Pressure spray with water and then try chicken wire stretched and pinned over where you walk in winter if you can't do the whole surface.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Not a decking fan either.  

However, our terrace and front path are granite setts and they too get slippery in prolonged cold wet weather so need a pressure wash too and then I spray strategic routes with an anti algae spray and that helps.   Not sure if it works on wood.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

The decking isnt at ground level, its 1st floor, so concrete and granite not really an option.  Thats why chemicals not good, it will fall through onto plants in some places. 

Im going to have a go with a pressure washer.  Hopefully borrow the next door neighbours see if it works OK.

Once it's clean, try the chicken wire option - stretch taught and staple down with a  nail gun or heavy staples.   It will be unobtrusive but give grip.

I dont fancy it obelixx.  I think its more woodland walk / rustic than modern fantastic house ish. 

I have a friend who has done it for a large deck at the back of her very modern villa/bungalow.  It keeps her safe and doesn't look rustic at all.

It's your neck.

Haha aye thats true.