OUCH!

Just been mowing the 'lawn' (mostly cherry & oak leaves overlying moss) here at OH's house.  Took off the grass box and reached in to scoop out the stuff that had fallen out of the front thereof. 

OUCH!image

The blades hadn't stopped!

Fortunately they were only moving slowly, so I got a well-deserved sharp rap on the knuckles and a bruised fingernail (now turning black).  I'm lucky still to have them all attached!  How stupid can you get?image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

They're due for sharpening now in fact.  Good job it's the end of the season!

First time I've ever done that in 45 years of gardening.  And the last.  A timely reminder.

Never cut a cable or got a shock (well, not gardening anyway - taking apart my train set's transformer when I was 11 was another matter!), and good job too since the lawn mower didn't have a RCD on it and I'm not certain about the way the whole installation is earthed!  Don't ask.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,858

Steve imageimage

Glad you're ok. It's easily done - I've been close to doing it myself. Don't know whether it's too much haste, or trying to be efficient  image

I've cut cables on hedgetrimmers before -  because I tackled my Dad's enormous beech hedge when he got too old, and only had one weekend to do it. He didn't like me turning up early either...image image

I seem to remember slicing through my finger once, because I did something similar to you. Still had some hedge to do next day, so I just taped it up very tight....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

You don't need electricity to give yourself a shocking experience in the garden. My neighbour poked herself right in the eye last week while she was pruning a shrub.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Bloody hell Steve!

Yes.

That's more or less what I said at the time.

• B3B3 Posts: 11,328

That was a two magpie result and a timely warning. By sharing this you will have saved one or two of us from taking unnecessary risks.

In London. Keen but lazy.

Two for joy? image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,622

apart from falling into the septic tank yesterday, I once cut my thumb badly on a hedge trimmer when my hand slipped off the middle handle half way down the blades.

OH's father cut half a finger off with a saw once.

Devon.