Hogitat advice

LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 1,672

Hello

I was given a hogitat hedgehog house some time ago and thought I'd better get on with siting it. I've never seen hedgehogs in my garden but I  live in hope. 

The plan is to have it with the entrance facing the fence (with room for the hogs to get through, obviously!), surround it with leaves and rotting wood and eventually to build a bug hotel with pallets, pots, wood etc etc on top of it. 

Here's where I've got to so far

^ That's the position, with a pile of leaves under where the hogitat will go.

I've started to surround it with rotting wood. Then when the kids get home we'll gather loads of leaves to put on top.

Is there anything I should have done that I haven't,  or vice versa?

It's a very foxy area - SE London - and the foxes spend a lot of time in this bit of the garden, but to be honest they're everywhere anyway so I  couldn't site it away from them.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• never heard of a hogitat - is there a website for the company that makes them that would have sensible advice?  I have lots of hedgehogs in the garden but have absolutely no idea where they actually hibernate.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 17,594

Dove mentioned 

http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/

lots of great info in there.

Devon.
  • Bonsai-MarcBonsai-Marc Posts: 444
    Sounds great nice to hear another local.person
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 1,672

Thanks all - will continue as planned image. I doubt I would actually know if it was being used as it's not visible from the house, but I would love to encourage hedgehogs. A friend a couple of streets away has them so I live in hope.

- Cicero

concentrate on feeding now and they can find the house if they need to

• you'll know when they come, they sound like a herd of elephants crashing through the undergrowth!

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 1,672

Ha! I didn't know that!

- Cicero
  • I have had a hogitat insitu for years and a covered feeding station but sadly no hedgehogs seen or heard or evidence of use other than by the wee mice. 

harry stopped using my cat house, its a bit open door and he must of been watching me build him another but no sign of using that one either

but does eat every night

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 47,848

Sometimes they start the winter hibernating in one place, then wake up, wander about and eat for a bit and find a new place to hibernate so it's good to have plenty of hoggie houses image

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies