Turkish sage & Begenias

Morning gardeners!  just making the most of the lovely weather today and whilst on route to sweep up some leaves from the grass I got distracted at the bed.  Can I ask what do the majority of you do with turkish sage leaves? I will leave the stems in tack over winter but are you meant to pull the brown leaves off or leave the whole thing to overwinter, same thing with Begenia, do you pull of the brown leaves?  Some come away in your hand so thats fine but some I find I'm really tugging to pull some of the rotten looking leaves off and then wonder if I'm taking away far too much!image  what do you all do please?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,041

re the Bergenias, brown leaves are dead so cut them off if they don't pull.

I don't know what turkish sage is, sorry

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,518

Nut image   Mr Google tells me it's another name for Phlomis russeliana

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• CopperdogCopperdog Posts: 290

Hello Nutcutlet and Dove, thank you for helping me!  Yes I had a bit of brain freeze at the computer when I was trying to remember the proper name for the Sage!  Do you both tend to cut them off or do you generally just leave them for creatures to hide under.  I was tidying up a  Rodgersia thats leaves had basically gone completely brown just now and were all laying over the crown - i scooped them up into a bucket and a frog jumped out and gave me a fright!  Not sure if leaving the brown debris of stuff is good of does it encourage fungi?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,518

I do most of my tidying up in the early spring - as you say, the wildlife need somewhere to spend the winter.  Fungi are useful - they break down organic matter and incorporate it into the soil.  Not a problem image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,041

Phlomis, image I was wondering if it might be perovskia.

The phlomis stems look great with a frost on through the winter