Forum home Fruit & veg

Over wintering strawberry runners

I had some strawberry plants, which didnt produce much, but have now got runners. Any tips on how best to overwinter them, and would i get better results growing them in greenhouse next year instead of outside?

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

I would just leave them where they are. My strawbs didn't yield much the first year I had them and then in the second year they produced almost more than I could eat image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,426

You can pot up the runners to grow on for extra stock. Are the plants you already have quite young? If so, don't take too many - maybe one or two from each plant - and remove the others to let the plants get a bit bigger and stronger. If they didn't do well this year,give them some hearty soil  and try feeding them more, especially when they come into flower. 

I just keep young plants and runners in a sheltered spot for winter. Some people do keep their plants undercover - commercial growers certainly do!  It just produces earlier crops. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• janebaljanebal Posts: 128

I have decided to pot up my runners in the spring and keep them in my greenhouse because this year so many berries got eaten by birds and slugs. Someone on this site recommended keeping them in the greenhouse in a Growbag.

After 2 years of having very few berries, this year was a bumper year and I even picked 3 strawberries today (1st November) - so I think 4th Panda is right. Try again next year - either outside or in the greenhouse or both to see which is better.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,426

Some varieties will crop better than others, and weather has an influence too.

You can always net fruits by making a simple cage to keep birds away.

Slugs will always be a factor with strawbs - I just try and get them before they do ...not sure I won the battle this year image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I'd have some in the greenhouse and soime outside - the greenhouse plants will crop earlier and so give you a longer season.

You must net the outdoor ones.  Blackbirds like strawberries as much as we do, and get up earlier.   Slugs are a problem - don't use straw bur try cardboard or proprietary strawberry mats to keep the fruit off the ground and check underneath them.

• janebaljanebal Posts: 128

Yes, I agree about strawberry mats. I used them for the first time this year and they really worked, keeping the strawberries off the ground and allowing them to ripen well. Of course, some still got eaten by blackbirds.

I am  going to grow them in the green house next year to give them the maximum protection.

• ive only used the weed membrane to keep fruit off the soil next year, unsure if i should later add something else

hoping my cats will deter any birds but i will move a cat ornament i have to see if helps scare off.. it wobbles

this will be my 1st attempt at growing strawberries. so far they are growing well so should mean survive the winter

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,797

I have mine in the cool polytunnel ( netted up to 1m high on sides)and had a fabulous crop. I had such a glut I took a huge bowl into work and left them in the dining room.

No birds but a bit of slug damage.

Devon.
  • i cant be investing in tunnels etc for 20 plants so will see how it goes

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,797

THB, I had the space so I plonked them in as they'd started growing, but I think I'll carry on with them in there.

Devon.