Courgettes

2»

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,156

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

If the weater holds, it shouldn't be long.

• John HardingJohn Harding Posts: 483

We picked our first 4 this afternoon and cooked them as a veg with our evening meal YumYum!image

• Hi all, it's my first time growing courgettes too, one green and one yellow each in it's own biggish patio tub, they do seem to like lots of water and they are growing so fast! no sign of any flowers yet but by the sound of it they don't take long to get going! From 2 plants how many courgettes can I expect?

It depends on the variety you are growing. Last year was a disaster for courgettes in my garden, cold, too much rain & not enough sun! Year before I grew Partenon and we got 30+ courgettes from each plant. This year I'm growing 'Black Forest F1' and 'Supremo F1'  both from Dobies Seeds of Paignton. I've never grown either before but picked 4 today from Supremo (2 each from 2 plants). The Black Forest haven't flowered at all yet but they are looking very healthy. Black Forest are a trailing variety & Supremo are Bush. Courgettes won't produce as many if you let them grow too big before harvesting them. I like to pick mine when they are around 5-6 inches long. I tried the yellow ones for a couple of years but they were nowhere near as prolific as the Green Partenon so although they look very attractive in the garden I haven't bothered with them this year.

• Hi John, I do not know which varieties these are as they were just labelled green and yellow in my local nurseryimage  I guess I will just have to wait and see and I will harvest at 5 or 6 inches. Thanks for the feedback though....next year I will choose named varieties and do my homework! Live and Learn eh !

Just a couple of pics of the courgettes + 1 of an Iris that has flowered at last. The Iris usually flowers 1st week in June so it's about 3 weeks late this year.

Black Forest F1

Supremo F1

Iris (I don't know the variety)

2»