Gooseberry pruning

turmericturmeric Posts: 643

Hello all, a friend on our allotments has acquired a gooseberry bush called Hinnonmaki 'yellow' (I hope I've got that right, apologies if not).  I always thought the idea was to create a goblet shape when pruning gooseberries but this bush (about 2feet high and in its second year) is weeping like a willow.  Some of the branches go up then waft back down to the ground, some are even then buried in the soil.  It doesn't seem to have a main 'trunk' either.  Is this normal? I've tried googling it but keep being told about the classic goblet shape.  Is anyone familiar with this gooseberry and the way to prune it?  I just like to understand things if I'm not familiar with them.  Many thanks to any gooseberry growers out there. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,518

I have Hinnomaki Yellow - it's a gorgeous dessert gooseberry with a wonderful flavour if allowed to ripen on the bush. 

However, it has a very sprawling (as you say, almost weeping) habit and it's not really possible to create the classic goblet shape.   If you don't stop the growing tips of the branches it will layer itself and produce lots more bushes - so I shorten the growing tips pruning to upward-pointing buds .  You can't get a goblet shape but you can get a sort of wide speading bush.  It goes grow very wide and needs a lot of space.  However, the fruit is well worth every square inch of garden it takes up.

If you want some more gooseberry bushes just let one or two branches grow downwards and layer themselves image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• turmericturmeric Posts: 643

Thanks Dove.  I just hadn't seen a gooseberry like it before but the layering for new plants sounds brilliant (maybe I'll benefit from any that takeimage).