tomatoes end of season

first time at growing tomatoes in greenhouse. had a good crop and very pleased.  its now 29 October and turning quite chilly in M24 area. I have about 20/30 green tomatoes left on plants - should I pick them all and bring in to ripen? should I then dispose of plants and grow bags and start again next year?

any advice would be appreciated

thankyou

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,367

Cut all green toms off and bring in the house and put in a bowl with a banana.

It gives off ethylene gas which hastens ripening.

Dispose of plants, compost if not diseased, or burn if badly infected.

Old growbag compost can be used for bulbs with a bit of added fertiliser.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • BeeWBeeW Posts: 6

Thank you, will do that tomorrow

x Beryl

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Best to cut off the whole truss rather than individual fruit but you MUST leave the calyx (the green spidery bit) attached or they'll rot.  I wonder if you can put the stems in water like you're supposed to do with grapes?   And if you have too many to eat if they all ripen quickly, just leave them on a warm windowsill.  Or in a dark drawer, but you have to check them every day.

If you're not into bulbs just add the compost from the bags to the garden soil.  It'll improve it, whatever it is.

Thankyou Steve

x Beryl

• GardenGrower11GardenGrower11 NottinghamPosts: 291

If they're outdoors, agree with other advice this time of year to pick any remaining fruit and bring them indoors, put them near a banana etc.

But if they're still in a greenhouse which is closed at night, and if your plants are still reasonably healthy, I'd leave them a bit longer, they are still slowly ripening on the plant.

A greenhouse closed at night will give approx +5C protection compared to unprotected outdoors.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

When, on balance, it's warmer inside than outside - even in a greenhouse - and especially overnight, they're better off inside. 

Thankyou Chris and Italophile

x Beryl
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Much as we are, really.

(Being a softie in my old age I've booked a B & B rather than staying in the boat in a month's time.   Brrrrr!)