Forum home Wildlife gardening

Spider ID

Hi, Can anyone ID this spider, as you can see it is on the bananas, I'm not sure if it has come from the fruits, it was on the bananas when we noticed it. It kept jumping all over the banana's. I don't usually kill spiders but I wasn't taking any chances just in case it's not from this country. I'm in Ireland but as far as I know we have the same spiders as the UK, well they look the same from when I lived there. It was only a small spider, I would have said no bigger than a 5p in length.

Thanks for your help.

• It is some kind of jumping spider, but I cannot find it in my book of European spiders.

• Lorna95Lorna95 Posts: 431

Thanks Alan, it makes me wonder if it had come in with the fruit. I keep searching but I can't find the same one.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

looks like a variant of zebra jumping spider, but email your local zoological society, they should be able to identify it.

last year I had a Spanish milk snail turn up on a delivery of metal storage containers, the local snail society even came to pick it up!

• Hi Lorna

You could send that picture to "Mooney goes wild". Its on RTE 1 radio on sunday nights, I'm sure Eanna will be able to identify it. image

• Lorna95Lorna95 Posts: 431

Thanks treehugger80 and Angela 17, I will give them both a try and see if they can tell be anything,