Forum home Plants

Which are your favourite Campanula

kathy 6kathy 6 Posts: 261

After admiring Victorias picture of Campanula  'Iridescent Bells' yesterday (and adding it to my wish listimage) it got me thinking which were my favourites and everyone elses, so here are mine

Campanula 'Elizabeth' kindly sent to me by a friend couldn't believe the size of the bells when it first flowered.

Campanula 'Alliariifolia' grown from mixed Plantworld seed think I've Id'd it rightimage

Campanula 'Makaschvilii' another from the mixed seed, love this one but only got one plant so once the weather dries up I'm hoping there'll be some seed so I can grow more, flowers none stop all summer if you keep chopping back the arching flower stalks.

And who could resist this one! Campanula Takesmana 'Beautiful Trust' this ones sterile so just keeps producing flowers none stop.

And the pink, lower growing version, 'Pink Octopus', swapped a bit of the white with a friend for thisimage

And last but not least 'Campanula Thyrsoides' the only yellow campanula, grown from Chilterns seed, don't know why this isn't more widely grown, grows anywhere here sun to full shade, sandy soil to the heaviest clay areas of my garden, the first year it forms a rosette of leaves and flowers the second, listed as biennial and perennial, I was told it would die after flowering but I've had some come back for several years, not all though so best to collect seed. 

So which are your favourites ?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,073

I have tried campanulas for years with no success until a friend gave me some Elisabeth and they decided not only to grow but came back this year.  I also have one tiny clump of carpatica that has survived since last year.

Lost count of the persicifolias, carpaticas, glomeratas, Elizabeths and others I have planted in the past.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568

C. rotundifolia is my favouriteimage

C. persicifolia goes OK and a tallish one that comes in white and mauve, I've never worked out which one it is, a species I should think. C. trachelium is another reliable one, I like reliable

Some of the others you mention Kathy have been invasive in the root and pathetically poor in the flower for me.

I've sown C thyrsoides recently and await action.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198

I like those 'twiddly' ones Kathy - that's the correct botanical term by the way  image

I don't like the colour of the blue or pink ones, and they're real slug fodder here, so I don't grow any now, but I used to have a tiny one called  (I think) 'Elisabeth Oliver'. It was one of the tiny ones and had little double flowers. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,368

I can't help but admire the sheer quantity of plants you seem to possess Kathyimage An admirable qualityimage

I went a bit bell-crazy this year although I don't have much to show for it so far...

My fave one this year was Burghaltii, Ill try and find a pic tomorrow, my eyes are a bit stingy tonight.

I also bought alliariifolia, sarastro and one called Hidcote Amethyst which has spread madly but not flowered. I've built that one up out of all proportion so am bound to be disappointed when it flowersimage

From seed this year I've grown takesimana, they keep getting eaten, glomerata var dahurica, ditto, and some beefy and imaginatively named medium single pink.

On my wish list is latifolia var macrantha and then I'll be completely satisfiedimageimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568

takesimana is another on my list of all root no flower Vic.

I think your last could be my nameless one, it rings a bellimage

• anna lodden

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,217

I haven't really grown campanulas before, but lactiflora pritchard variety got my attention. So got a couple of plants they just need planting, I got a huge dahlia in the way, I cant bring myself to lift it before its been frosted.

• kathy 6kathy 6 Posts: 261

Ooo this is good you do realise your all making my wish list even longer!!image

That's a shame obelixx hope Elizabeth stays around for you image

nutcutlet Trachelium I have another that popped up in those mixed seed, I like that one too I had 1 blue but this year a white self seeded near it how can that happen from a blue?, hope you like Thyrsoides image

Fairygirl they'll be forever called twiddly things image, I sent a astrantia to a friend a while ago called 'Shaggy' she missed a letter out when replying to me so now its called 'Saggy'!, I just googled your double very pretty, I need it!

Verdun dickson's gold looks lovely too image

Thankyou Victoria image, I love perennials,we moved here 15 years ago after a self build so a whole half acre garden to make from scratch, except for a small wooded area, with so much space it was a case of growing things from seeds and cuttings, I joined a swapshop and discovered Plantworld seeds image. Burghaltii I've not heard of so will look forward to your picture, you might be able to help me is this a Latifolia? not a very good picture the plants going over a bit, its another that popped up in those mixed seed, its around 4ft tall.

Michael Anna Lodden looks a lovely one too, aaaargh why did I start this thread lol.

imagePerki oh yes that one is stunning its the one with the big branching flower heads isn't it, I've been promised seed from a friend next year. No frosts here yet either long may it last I still have wallflowers to plant where my dahlias are may have missed the boat there, ooops.

Another little campanula relative I love, although its not reliably perennial here, it does self seed prolificly though so pops up in other places, its favourite being the block paving, not good but so pretty.

Symphyandra cretica

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198

I just remember how dainty that little one was Kathy. My girls were young at the time, and I had a few plants which were alpines, or just very small, so that they could get up close and personal with them! Another favourite was a dianthus called Pike's Pink which eldest daughter called the hedgehog because of the foliage. She loved running her hands over it - and still recalls that now at the age of twenty one image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....