Forum home Talkback

jasmine polyanthum

Bought a jasmine with no label in the spring which I have since planted in my garden. Have looked it up and I think it may be a polyanthum. If it is, its not totally hardy in my region, which is inland in Norfolk. Cant dig it up so can anyone tell me how I can protect it in the ground or is it doomed?image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,872

Hello neighbour  image  (I'm in Norfolk too)

What sort of spot is it in and what's your soil like ?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hello Dovefromaboveimage

Its in a corner against a wall and is growing up trellis against the oil tank so is sheltered on two sides. Wall faces southeast. Our garden is a small courtyard so is not exposed really. Not sure about the soil. Its definately not sandy or clay.Its a raised bed. I have put bark chippings around it. There is nothing growing around it as Ive only planted bulbs there.

Well, if you can't move it I'd mulch the roots with some more bark chippings, and when frost is forecast I'd try to protect the top growth with a couple of layers of garden fleece.  I find securing it with clothes pegs works quite well as long as it's not too windy - then it's not too onerous taking the fleece off in good weather and putting it back  in bad.  I'd also wrap some fleece around the crown.  Then if we do get some really cold weather, if the top growth is cut back it may grow again from the crown. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your jasmine if you keep yours crossed for my Campsis radicans, in a big terracotta pot in a southeast facing corner of the terrace  image

Memo to self:  must remember to bubble wrap the big pots!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks neighbour. Will have to look up campsis radicans so I know what I'm keeping my fingers crossed for!

Do feel free to join in with the chatter on Hello Forkers thread if you're at a loose end now that gardening weather is getting scarce

• Just might do that, thanks for the invite. Good luck with your lovely trumpets!

image  They are rather lovely aren't they?  We had a few flowers this year; it was only planted last year so hopefully it'll go from strength to strength.  

I'll just mention that a few of us who live in East Anglia sometimes get together to arrange trips to visit gardens in the area, and usually a Snowdrop Walk as well - so keep your eyes open next year - we publicise the outings on the forum and we don't bite ... but we do eat cake image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

Where will we find our snowdrops for 2016 Dove?

You should join us Duchess, we've had some good tripsimage 

• Hopefully I will be able to do that. Don't have loads of spare time unfortunately but I do love walking. Would my wayward fox terrier be welcome as I tend to combine my spare time with taking him out?

• Forgot to say, we are both rather fond of a bit of cake!