Overwintering Tibouchina

My little Tibouchina plant from Lidl has grown quite tall and lanky.  It is about to flower.

Last year with a similar plant I brought it into a cold coservatory where it promptly dropped its buds and gave up the ghost.

I think I need to bring it indoors again, but should I cut it back?  Should I keep it fairly dry or does it need water?  Experienced advice needed please.

• lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 274

Can be very 'touchy' if you don't treat them right.  Temperature and water cannot be 'hit and miss'.  I suggest keeping it away from your conservatory windows, ensure it remains damp - but don't keep its feet in water.  Unless you can find a VERY sheltered, frost-free spot outside, you won't succeed.  I had no success but a friend kept hers for about 4 years.  Also, they need ericaceous compound and use azalea fertilizer for it.

• thanks Lydiaann - didn't  know about the ericaceous compost, but I think I used multi-purpose when I re-potted it.  I think it's going to be a case of crossed fingers and hope.

• GG......the only time I have seen this kept successfully was in S. Wales.......parked in a Polytunnel over winter, it appeared to be happy enough to come back the following year.

I've never attempted it myself so I don't know exactly what the Welsh did in particular to keep it going.

Probably not much help then really.....sorry about that image.  Wish you luck anywayimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,925

I got one from lidl too. Its just starting to flower. 

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • I think they look a little prehistoric, but lovely nonetheless.