Raking leaves

lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 233

Is there anything more satisfying than raking leaves from lawns and paths? - and such good exercise!  I am currently feeling quite self-satisfied having spent almost an hour in such activity - although it's quite windy so the self-same exercise will have to take place again in the next day or two.  I notice that last year's leaf mould has broken down beautifully so I've moved it all over to one-third of the 'cage' that Himself made for me last year and will spread it as a mulch over one of my bigger borders.  Now I know how much it breaks down, I shall ensure I gather every leaf that falls this year and leave it to perform its magic for next winterimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,231

Now I feel guilty for sucking them up with a ride on mowerimage

But it does break them down a bit to start the composting process

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,030

Glad you've had a nice timeimage  I pray for dry leaves and a good wind to pile the leaves up in the cornerimageimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,262

But don't make it too tidy - the hedgehogs need leaf piles to hibernate in!

http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pages/seasonal-tips.html

"Oh, for the good old days when people would stop Christmas shopping when they ran out of money."  Anon

I've got the piles of leaves but no hedgehogs to hibernate in them Doveimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,262

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation Nut -  maybe one day a wandering Hefty will come across your leaf piles and make himself at home image

"Oh, for the good old days when people would stop Christmas shopping when they ran out of money."  Anon

I hope so Dove, they were never plentiful here, not like in my previous garden, but I haven't seen any evidence for years now.

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 863

One of my fave autumninal (not sure if thats a real word or if its spelt right if it is!) jobs, love doing it and I agree Dove, I always leave a fair share to any wildlife friends to use as they wish. Last year I gathered loads up and it rotted down beautifully, most has already been used.

• lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 233

We have a 'heritage hedge', from whence cometh all those leaves I so love to rake, so behind our fence is a wonderful cornucopia of nesting hidey-holes for our tiggywinkles.  We have a 'hedgehog path' coming under the front fence, across the lawns and under that back fence - we usually find their 'landmines' image daily somewhere along the route so have learned to tread carefully there!

I am so envious lydiaann

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 22,457

I miss the two big trees I had in the garden round the corner from here. I loved gathering the maple leaves in particular - they were beautiful.

I'd love a garden with a woodland like yours nut. Maybe when I'm old and grey - or older and greyer  image - I'll move to a little place in the middle of nowhere and have my woodland and hedgehogs and birds. image

And some hills of course image

There's a gypsy down on Bleecker Street
    I went in to see her as a kind of joke
    And she lit a candle for my love luck
    And eighteen bucks went up in smoke