Forum home Plants

Leycesteria formosa--advice please

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,600

So do I! Mum always said all my taste was in my mouth. Mind you, there are very few garden plants I can't love for one reason or another.

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 23,631

I have a problem with those ' bundle' plants that you get in the back of magazines and Sunday papers. They always contain the usual suspects, all of which have varying degrees of horribleness

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

My Forsythia came from my mum's garden, my Leycesteria formosa came by bird, I don't have a ceanothus and I chose my Spirea because it looked lovely. Bundle Schmundle! image

Pp plants are a matter of personal taste , feelings and associations. I have several euphorbia, mostly because I like them and partly because a person that I dislike can't abide them. If my mum gave me a forsythia I would find a place for it tooimage

I don't. It Just adds to their appeal

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 81,396

Can't stand Forsythia x intermedia - horrid vivid yellow loo-brushes image

but Forsythia suspensa is an elegant and beautiful shrub with delicate flowers, absolutely gorgeous underplanted with spring flowers in a woodland border and seen far too seldom.  Love it. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I like a few  stems in a vase but the actual plant is too - yellow. To me, it jars with the more subtle shades of spring. If it flowered in autumn, it would look good with the changing leaves.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 81,396
    B3 wrote (see)

I like a few  stems in a vase but the actual plant is too - yellow. To me, it jars with the more subtle shades of spring. If it flowered in autumn, it would look good with the changing leaves.

That's the difference between F. suspensa and the F. x intermedia varieties - Suspensa is a much paler yellow with far fewer flowers on it's elegant weeping branches.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh