Overwintering Chilli's

I have had a poor year in the greenhouse both with tomatoes and chillis. It is too late for the toms (they're in the bin!) but I grew a number of chilli plants from seed early in the year which have flowered too late to fruit.  I know they are perennials and I would like to keep them going over the winter to see if they will do better next year. Any ideas how best to do this?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,624

Perennials in much warmer climates than ours.

I think the consensus is you'll just be harbouring aphids over the winter, as such best sown from fresh each spring.

Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,333

I have moved 7 of my best chili plants from the unheated greenhouse to indoor window boxes.  One is on the kitchen window sill and on on another south facing window sill upstairs.  I expect to keep them going all winter and into spring.   I have given others away to a gardening friend who will keep them in her heated greenhouse.

I've kept chillies going this way before and had no problems with pests or diseases.   Just need to make sure they're fed occasionally between waterings and don't have too much radiator heat without being spritzed occasionally.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

They will survive over winter given sufficient bright light and warmth. While, technically, they're perennials, they tend to gradually run out of steam after a season. In the past I've left mine outside into winter. A couple of decent frosts and the cold snap-freezes them on the plant and preserves them.

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,117

My OH cuts the plant down to be just stalks and brings them indoors to our utility where they get enough heat and light. They will start to sprout leaves again in the new year, and about Mar-Apr they get moved back to the greenhouse. He only does that to the one he wants to keep, the rest go in the compost.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,333

Mine got going a bit late this year and are still full of ripening fruit, hence the need to keep them going.  I've made a batch of chilli jam with garlic and ginger which is delish so I want the fruits to make more and dry some and freeze some for different uses.

One year I threaded red, orange and purple chillies on black cotton and hung the strings in the window to dry.  They looked very decorative.  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Good luck with it. I'm going to give it a go too. I find that I never seem to have a long enough growing period for my chillies to turn red.  I bought a birds eye chilli plant from Chilli Bobs and it was and still is covered in chillies. He said to over winter it in a warm and bright spot, not to over water.

• Thanks to everyone for the replies, I will let you know how they have done come spring!