Need Advice.

Hi Gardeners, I need advice with the ant nest in my garden. They seem to like compost best of all. They are in my planters, beds & boarders. I planted a blossom tree for my late father, it was doing great, been in there 3 months, when all of a sudden the red leaves wilted. I am bothered by this.

I see so many ant killers on the market but, i don't want to harm any other critters especially the birds & my dog pip. Can anyone tell me if there is a solution that can be added to rain water?  or what ever one thinks is best.

Great forum you have here..

Thanks.

Molly.image

• Molly, Try using Antstop spray, it comes in a trigger gun sprayer, and is available from quite a number of garden outlets. As it says on the spray gun STOPS ANTS IN THEIR TRACKS. I have found that once you spray a plant or surrounding ground area with the spray the ants completely disappear, it's also effective for woodlice earwigs cockroaches & fleas. I'm not sure about other critters as you mention depending on what kind of critter you want to preserve of course. I can however say that it definitely works.

'Salt' makes ants loose their sense of direction and can be a good deterrent.

Another one is to use Boracic acid crystals & Sugar mix which are harmless, but are deadly to ants if you want more on Boracic & Sugar let me know.

John

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,252

If you use boracic (Boric) acid mixed with sugar, you need to make sure any mammals cannot get at it, especially your dog.  5 to 20 g can kill a human, obviously a lot less to kill a dog.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Molly1966Molly1966 Posts: 25

Thank You John, I will try the Ant Stop..

Verdun . You are correct about me having two issues. While sitting, pondering on my swinging chair, I realised why two of my plants are dying. My neighbour gave me some Nippon powder. I used it for two ant nests, both plants were swarming under ground. I doubt it's a coincidence, that's the only two places I have put the Nippon, that's the only two plants that are dying, must be the cause. I'll never use that again, not only have I lost my tree, I have lost a beautiful Clematis too.image

Figetbones. Thank You for your advice, I don't want to risk making my dog sick or the birds..

Thank You friends for taking the time to reply.

Molly.