Brown stink/shield bug

My primulas are being attacked by a bug that is munching on the flowers, leaving them completely without petals, but to add insult to injury it is leaving some piled under the plants.

Today when removing the eaten flowers I found a brown shield bug. Could this be the culprit?

How can I stop whatever is eating the flowers?

• sparrows?

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

It can't be a shield bug.  All true bugs have piercing mouthparts and are sap suckers.  Your culprit has jaws.  If it's an insect maybe beetles (there's a wide choice) or leaf-cutter ants (do we have them here?).   But whatever it is, why is it cutting them off and leaving them?

Maybe it doesn't like the colour.

• I think I will need to keep looking then. I think it will be a losing battle as they are surrounded by bark chippings. Plenty of places for bugs to hide during the day.

I would be amazed if it were sparrows. There are so few birds around our new build house. I miss the birdsong of our old flat image I was amazed to see a pair of pied wagtails but it was a Sunday so no builders to scare them all off.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Pied wagtails are pretty bold.  I've had one walk within a few feet of me a few times.