Tiarella propagation

Just been tidying my front garden and while clearing the leaves from around a Tiarella I inadvertently pulled a piece off! Having looked at it it seems to have its own section of root etc and so I have planted it in hope that it will grow on! A quick Google advises to propagate by division in spring but as the plant is in good health I wondered if it will survive? Any experience of this gladly welcome. Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 22,476

It should be fine Clive. They're very similar to Heucheras and, like them, you can pot up little pieces like that and they'll grow quite readily. Keep it somewhere sheltered over winter and  it should grow on during spring when you can pot it on  image

There's a gypsy down on Bleecker Street
    I went in to see her as a kind of joke
    And she lit a candle for my love luck
    And eighteen bucks went up in smoke

• Thanks for the info folks. With the lovely wet mild weather we've enjoyed over the past few days I can report mother and baby are both doing well!! That first frost seems a long way off yet (hopefully!). Will pick and freeze the sloes this year rather than wait til after the first frost as they are looking good and ready to be mated with the gin! Think I will pick the last of the tomatoes tomorrow too and use them whether red or green.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 22,476

Good stuff Clive image

I always think there's nothing to lose if you have a little offshoot like that, as long as you have a spare pot, some compost, and a few minutes to stick it in them! 

There's a gypsy down on Bleecker Street
    I went in to see her as a kind of joke
    And she lit a candle for my love luck
    And eighteen bucks went up in smoke