lawn moss

Hi,

I'm scarifying my lawn, can I use all the thatch on my veg patch as a mulch, raw and neat? And if so which veg beds would it be best on? Legumes? Brassicas? Root or Fruit? 

Any ideas?

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I'd just put it in the compost pileimage
  • I'vegot sooo much! My compost pile wouldn't cope!  image But thanks Logan.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Sue, put it in the compost and mix it well, you could put any old compost from pots where the plants have finished as mulch not much life left in it but it will lighten the soil. My way is leave things for the frost to work its wonders then mulch in spring. Some plants such as Peony's need a mulch now though not over the root ball spread it in a ring around the plant, the worms do the rest.

Frank.

Sue, you came in whilst  was writing. Put it in a black bag with some air holes and hide it behind a bush or shed, add it to the compost as it empties next year.

Frank.

Sue, put it in the compost and mix it well, you could put any old compost from pots where the plants have finished as mulch not much life left in it but it will lighten the soil. My way is leave things for the frost to work its wonders then mulch in spring. Some plants such as Peony's need a mulch now though not over the root ball spread it in a ring around the plant, the worms do the rest.

Frank.

• Thanks for that Frank. Will do......... after constructing a new compost bin! The other is full and not "cooked" 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,075

Dry it out and sell it on ebay to aspiring florists.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Nice idea pansyface but my chickens helped rake the lawn and added their own contributions. I don't think a florist would appreciate the "farm yard" aroma! image

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Could you bag it up into bin liners to use in the compost bin when it has more room? Just put a few holes in the bags and stack them out of the way.

• Great minds think alike Lesley, thanks anyway. I have dragged the cubic meter sack full of thatch down the bottom of the garden. When I've got the energy I'll drag last year's sacks up to the veg patch...... but not now. My bath is calling image