The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Question: Hand held tools

Hi guys, we're some engineering students, hoping to get some advice from you all.

We're being sponsored by a gardening tools manufacturer to make a new, hand held electric gardening tool as part of our degree.

The issue is that none of us garden at all, so we're doing some research into what sort of tools people would be interested in using.

As you're all budding gardeners, we thought you'd be the best place to start.

If you've got any ideas about what sort of hand held electric tool would make your life easier, or something that really annoys you with your gardening, we'd love to hear from you!

Thanks!

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,297

Firstly, Budding Gardeners? A lot of us learned the ropes in the garden of Eden and pretty set in our ways. I use the normal hand tools, lawn mower, hedge trimmer, leaf sucker for ease of use though my hand tools are well worn hand me downs from a time when the light in our rooms were gas.

At my age a robot gardener might come in handy though I could see myself sending it back to the garage for not doing a proper job. Sorry cannot really help but best of luck with your project.

Frank.

• Mel MMel M Posts: 347

Hows about an adjustable electric seed dispenser or a stick like gizmo with re-chargable battery for turning compost in compost bins. Or a battery assisted, powered wheelbarrow for us who have plots at the top of inclines, or are just getting older!

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,972

This gizmo may already exist...I use secatars to cut through thin stems and loppers to cut through thicker one's however beset by health problems this yr found cutting the stems of sweetcorn quite difficult, putting a strain on my back and time comsuming.

A hand held battery powered pruning saw would have made the task easier and less time consuming.  

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 567

Like that idea Zoomer image

• I've been aerating my lawn today, I used a 12mm wood drill which is used for drilling holes into wooden sleepers for the railways. I've tried the aerator tool before which you press down with your foot, but found it broke quite regularly and had to get it welded. I thought I'd try it differently using an electric drill and it took about an hour to do half my lawn (about 40ft X 10ft), do the rest tomorrow if it stays dry. Recently I bought an auger about 11/2inch in diameter for planting bulbs, just reading the earlier postings it might come in handy for turning over my compost as well.