Forum home The potting shed

Where can I get Rabbit 'waste'?

Sounds easy, but I'm having problems in finding someone who keeps Rabbits in North London who can let me have the used bedding, straw, and manure for my compost bin.   Any offers?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,881

Maybe ask if you can put a card up at a local pet shop or vet's practice?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes that did occur to me.  This morning I enquired at a local pet boading establishment but they're reply was exactly as I anticipated.  All their waste gets collected by a contractor but, in any case, Health & Safety prevents them from doing otherwise.

Bl**dy Health & Safety!!

• I've also posted requests on a few Freecycle groups but only received one response.  An aquaintance mentioned my request to her neighbour (who keeps Rabbits), and the neighbour actually saw one of my postings. But she didn't respond to it as she thought the post to be an odd request, thinking why would anyone want Rabbit waste.

"For my compost bin"  - as the message stated!   image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,881

Try your local Streetlife.com  - it's a community website which facilitates people passing on things they don't need etc.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dovefromabove:   I've never heard of the Streetlife site, thank you for the link.

I've posted on it already.  image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,797

Mike, you can always rely on Dove for good advice, She's great. 

Devon.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

...even if she appears not to be Miss Marple any more image

• B3B3 Posts: 11,559

What do you use it for?

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I've also posted requests on a few Freecycle groups but only received one response.  An aquaintance mentioned my request to her neighbour (who keeps Rabbits), and the neighbour actually saw one of my postings. But she didn't respond to it as she thought the post to be an odd request, thinking why would anyone want Rabbit waste.

"For my compost bin"  - as the message stated!   image

• B3:   After it's rotted down, it all goes onto the garden.