Rose hips

I have a beautiful rose which has large hips appearing.  It also has some dead rose blooms which I would normally dead head but now I am confused, do I leave them to become hips or do I dead head?  Would appreciate your thoughts, thank you.

• chris 172chris 172 Posts: 403

Hi I made a rose hip syrup last year and used it to drizzle over puddings and ice cream . Does not take long to make and again you can use up your garden produce. You will find a recipe on google easily as I am on holiday and don't have the information at hand

happy gardening

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,412

The main purpose of dead-heading is to encourage repeat flowering roses to produce more blooms. 

At this time of year that's unlikely to happen, so I would leave the hips on the bush to feed the birds in the winter image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dear Mulberry Badger. My wife (whose name is also Rose, by the way, but there the coincidence ends - she is not beautiful) also has large hips. Dead-heading her will be misunderstood, as I know from bitter experience. As for 'making syrup' - one shudders at what one suspects is a vulgaris euphemism. Best regards

• Hi, Mr. Busch, I hope your wife doesn't read the Forum or she might be tempted to do some headheading of her own.  I laughed anyway.

Think I will go with Doves advice and leave well alone.

My husband has recently taken to making  our own icecream  so perhaps I will try the syrup too.

Thank you all.