Forum home Plants

Aconitum?

Dear all,

I have moved house recently and now have a bit of a garden. I am however completely new to gardening!. I have a 20 month old toddler, so ideally I want to plant things that are child friendly. I was reading up on toxic plants and one near the top of the list is Aconitum. I am now worried that I have something similar in my garden. Is this Aconitum (see photograph that I took today)?. 

Obviously you cannot eat the flowers or leaves of Aconitum, but I also read that you can get poisoned just by brushing past or touching it - does this apply to both the flower and the leaves? If I do have Aconitum, how can I get rid of it safely?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Yes it is Aconitum, but we went to the Welsh National Botanic Gardens last week and there was a clump of it right by the path so I think the danger is exaggerated.

But yes, I think I would get rid of it as it is such a pretty blue and your toddler might pick a bunch for Mummy.

I should think you could compost it without the roots. Anybody got a view on that?
  • Thanks for the advice!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,556

I don't buy council compost for that very reason Verdun - I don't have any really problem weeds in this garden, and I aim for it to stay that way.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• You could alway ask a neighbour if they would like it - make a new friend! As long as they understand why of course.