Couch Grass / Twitch Weed

Been digging a lot of this cr*p up on my new allotment - it's like white, electrical cable - fairly easy to pull out (better than bind weed) but a pain nevertheless

Any ideas / advice???

To be fair, I'm using Roundup (Glyphosate) on my dandelions but sparingly as I'm reading about Alzhiemer's etc and don't want to just spray the stuff all over

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,356

Digging it out and gently teasing all roots out of the soil is the best way with couch grass.

Good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• You say that but it has worked on the dandelions - or seemingly as it's been dry / fairly sunny (when I used it)

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,163

And Couch is not in active growth? Who are you kidding? Dug over a bed two weeks ago and there is new growth in it already.

Only go down 6 inches? Again, who are you kidding? The bed I am  trying to clean was turned over to a depth of 18 inches following the roots downwards.

They are edible by the way if you want to get your own back on it!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,622

I find it a lot easier to fork out of sandy soil. On clay, it inevitably breaks,and  leaves a bit which regrows.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Digging it out of sandy soil is actually quite rewarding - you can compete with yourself to get the longest intact bit. 

Oh dear.  Did I really write that?image

• I hear you Verdun - I was desperate; 50 dandelions maybe more - I'm digging / forking / raking / pulling and it's a long old, back breaking job - the spade hardly goes in there's that many underground cables and they're so thick but I mustn't get downhearted - little and often, chin up, Dunkirk spirit, shoulders back lovely boy and all that LOL!

Thanks for your advice everyone