plant id

cotty1000cotty1000 Posts: 282

This is a self sown plant in a newly planted border and I've no idea what it is. Please help.

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 863

I'm no expert, but could it be a Primrose. Have you got some nearby?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,148

It looks to me like a verbascum (mullein) - if so it's a biennial so you'll get a flower spike next summer.

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 

Oops , shows how much I know. Sorry I will keep quiet.

• cotty1000cotty1000 Posts: 282

I think the leaves are too big,and it has grown too quickly for it to be a primrose.

• LynLyn Posts: 9,061

I would go with Mullien, is it large now, like bigger than a Primrose?, they grow huge, about 5 or 6 ft tall and a couple of feet across.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • cotty1000cotty1000 Posts: 282

Any ideas are helpful. It could be a verbascum,I'll keep an eye on it as it's crowding out a lavender.

Gosh, if its crowding out a lavender then I was way out! It's hard to judge size without a comparison to other plants nearby.

flowers in the rain wrote (see)

Oops , shows how much I know. Sorry I will keep quiet.

Don't you dare!!!  I'm often wrong - even Nut was semi-wrong once image

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 

Thanks Dove, I would just love to 'earn my keep ' as you have all been so helpful to me.......hey ho one day I'll prove useful...still a lot to learn!

You're here and you're cheery and friendly and you love gardening - that's all that's required image