ivy

B3B3 Posts: 7,026

I have a fairly small but badly neglected patch that I would like to clear. Clay workable today got under roots and shook off soil but the roots go on and on! An I wasting time and effort doing it by hand or should I use weedkiller?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,308

We had a lot of really rampant ivy when we moved here

We just cut it back and dug it out - it took all the autumn and most of the winter, but we got rid of it all image

Because ivy has shiny leathery leaves it tends not to absorb weedkiller easily anyway, and the best time to spray it is when it's actively growing and there are tender new pale green leaves and that will be in the spring.  If you get on with digging it out it'll all be gone by spring.

Good luck image

“I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” ~Charles Dickens

• B3B3 Posts: 7,026

Thanks Dove. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time. Will bits of stem without roots take if I leave them?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,308

They might - rake them up - bag them up and get rid of them.

“I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” ~Charles Dickens

Ok will do. Thanks

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 1,746

Almost my whole garden was overgrown with ivy this time last year - very deep over all the fences and extending several feet along the ground, across the beds and well into the lawn. I had the fences replaced so the fencing people ripped all the high stuff out, and I spent January and February digging and ripping out everything that was left. It's come back in a couple of places where it was rooted in our neighbour's garden, and a few more bits have popped up here and there and been swiftly removed, but I've been surprised how successful my efforts have been so far. I thought I'd never get on top of it, but I have (so far anyway). It'll never be completely eradicated as it's coming through from next door, but I quite like a bit here and there and will never let it get out of hand again.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero

LG and Dove you give me hope. I don't  expect a complete eradication - just want to be the one in control! There's worse things than a bit of ivy popping up now and again.

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,153

I'm on your side too B3, digging up weed roots is immediate, permanent and satisfying in my experience.

I took over a neglected garden and dug up all roots of ivy, bramble, nettle, bryony, elder and ground elder where possible.  In some areas that were badly infested I merely broke the surface, massaged the clod and threw the vegetation in the green bin!

Where the offending roots were growing into a favoured specimen, I cut back the weed and carefully painted neat SBK onto the cut surface/wound.

From this experience I've found that nettles are very easy to get rid of but you need gloves image  Ivy is a bit of a monkey because it roots where it touches but rip it out by the roots and keep on top of the grow-back and you're (as you desired) in control! 

Brambles! Arrgghh! Brambles in a privet hedge, arrgghh x 2!!

Ground elder? OMG - anyone got a flame thrower?

I've found that it takes a couple of years to clear a bad infestation.  You need to clear as much as you can leaving what looks like a lovely clear bed.  Let the bits you missed advertise where they are after a couple of weeks and carefully pull the roots out of the soil that is now far more friable than it was when you first attacked it.  Then do the same again and I've found you should be good to go as far as going ahead and planting new stuff.

Unless you have Horsetail/Maretail thingy weed and then you're *******!  I have this in my veg patch.  I've yet to find out how to control it so ivy seems like a pussycat to me.  If your glass is half full then you only have ivy.

Does that help?  Hope so image

Yes tet. One satisfying thing is when you pull a  l -o- n - g runner. Same as when you get one stripping wallpaperimage.

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,153

I'm weird, I like weeding, good job really with a reclaimed garden!

Things I have discovered whilst digging more ivy today:

Ivy does not just run along the top of the soil so you can pick it off at your leisure. It has very deep rootsimage

There are probably Spanish bluebell bulbs at the  core of the Earthimage

Foxes do bury bits of animalimage

I know where the previous owner dumped a load of topsoil when he was laying the pathsimage

Loads of fat juicy wormsimage