Bird feeders

Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 1,143

Hi,  Just wondered if anybody has tried the new squirrel proof bird feeders from Homegar? These ones have drop down port blockers activated by weight so claim to be squirrel proof. They are quite expensive at £24.99 plus P&P each or £39.99 for two so I'd really like to know whether they work or not before I order.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,156

I have had a squirrel buster feeder for ten years. So long as the top is weighed or fastened down, it works. One did work out how to unscrew the top, so we have an extra device to stop the lid coming up.

They can be quite entertaining with the birds. The greenfinches have worked out that too many birds also shuts the ports, so they get quite stroppy.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 1,143

Thanks Fidgetbones, they sound as though they might be the answer so I'll try one - and save my blood pressure!

• The squirrels managed to get ours down eventually.  A feeder on a well greased pole works really well but the grease has to be kept topped up

• cornellycornelly Posts: 421

To stop squirrels using our bird seed feeders I greased the pole that the feeders are on they don't like it, tried to climb the pole a few times then gave up.

• Yes it works but - they do spot when the grease has worn off (is it easy not to notice) and up the blighters go!

• mine are not very successfuul - they work, in so much as the shield comes down when a weight is on top of it, but the birds don't like it!  We've reverted to cheap feeders dangling from a horizontal wire.  We haven't seen a squirrel for years, but could be because local building work has removed much of their habitat.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 21,228

There's a type of mastic that doesn't harden so perhaps that might be more successful than a standard grease. It's a roofing product (I think ) and it's thick and gloopy. I'll try and remember what it's called, but I think you can get it in DIY stores quite easily. 

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• Gardening granny - the shield used to stick down on ours.  Eventuallly  the squirrels bit thru the wire suspending it and it fell in the brook and got swept away.

Sounds a good idea Fairygirl - Vandal proof paint would work too lol - but I wouldn't want to hurt them

• Fairygirl - I think it's anti-climb paint, designed to prevent burglars from climbing up drainpipes.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 21,228

No - I know the stuff you mean ggranny. It's like a thick grease -  I think I have some in the shed - but I'm sure it's a mastic type of product. It's definitely not the paint. 

Not that I'm venturing out there any time soon since it's blowing a hooley! image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past