Establishing new hedge

Hi.  I moved house last year and my new garden is very exposed. I have set up a new veg garden with raised beds but there is no protection from the wind at all so I planted a new hornbeam hedge all around it in March/April this year.  I cut it back when I planted it (they were bare root whips) but I guess I should prune it back again now or is it too late?  And how far should I cut it back? I obviously want it to get nice and bushy but also want some height to it.  This is the first time I have established a new hedge - I have only ever maintained mature hedges before.  thanks

• Thanks buddyboy.  I am going to stop procrastinating and brave the drizzle today to get it done...... after I have finished my coffee image

• Absolutely - procrastination is the thief of time, as they say.  Btw, I'm a girl image

• No worries - it's the name diblinschtat - it makes me sound like an officer in the german army or something.  It was a nickname I got at work - a long story but i was a credit controller and the sales team wanted to make me sound like the gestapo because I would put their accounts on hold for not paying so they couldn't get their orders through.  It kind of evolved over time - i think it was affectionately done (at least, that's what i keep telling myself) image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,824

Hornbeam makes a lovely hedge and I've pruned it at this time of year too. It grows and thickens up quickly if the ground's decent and you're kind to it with a bit of blood, fish and bone in spring  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• My ground isn't perfect - I live in shropshire so it's clay.  It's why I chose hornbeam over beech - hornbeam doesn't mind being as much being in wet heavy soil.  I did improve it with manure first but i will definitely feed in spring.  thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,824

Same here - clay soil and lots of rain - which is why I also chose it over beech.  Well rotted manure dug into the area prior to planting  helps if the soil's heavy.  Mine had to contend with a couple of very mature trees on the boundary ( previous garden) so it was very difficult to get the whips planted, but they grew well once they got established. The soil was poor and thin in those areas, so I also kept them well mulched. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....