Friends for roses

hi,

I have some roses in a small plot in our front garden. I think it looks a bit bare and am looking for advice on what I can plant amongst the roses to fill up,the space a little. Any help greatly appreciated. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,715

Nepeta (catming) is a traditional companion to rose bushes and looks very pretty with them.

Lavender is another plant traditionally grown with roses.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I grow roses and lavender together they do well.Hardy geraniums as well but don't let them take over some self seed all overimage
  • Thank you all very much. I shall give the Nepeta a go, I do have some dadfodil bulbs ready to go too. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,715

Some pictures next summer would be lovely image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Some photos will follow Dovefromabove image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,453

I can understand anyone getting bored with old fashioned roses that flower just once.

I have a bed of roses under-planted with herbaceous clematis integrifolia, geranium macrorhizum which flowers earlier than the roses and has good winter foliage colour, heucheras, cyclamen, aquilegia and daffs and hyacinths.   There are alliums dotted in there too to help keep away the greenfly.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • brunnera 'jack frost' or 'mr morse' depending on rose colour...geranium clarkeii 'kashmir white'...if in doubt plant a geranium as the saying goes...

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

Good suggestions above.  I would also plant some spring bulbs in among the roses, maybe grape hyacinths or a small daffodil like tet-a-tet.