Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

• Lavender is very attractive to them.

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

On Saurday we saw our first Hummingbird moths of the year,two together on our Valerian,such a pleasure to see them returning,usuallky solitary so two was a bit unusaul for us.imageimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,345

Are they the big ones Gilly? Think I asked you the other day but you probably didn't see my post.

Never seen one - I'd probably run a mile! I'm a real coward when it comes to moths - silly I know. Stems from childhood. I'm trying to see them as just slightly duller butterflies - not sure it's working though! ....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Fg, they're not very big and they fly in the daytime so maybe you could just pretend they're butterflies. Some of the moths aren't duller than butterflies

I'm hopeless with them nut! I used to get big ones in my bedroom as a child and some were very furry and had - to my eyes- little horns so I was terrified of them! There was an old chair of my Gran's stuffed with horse hair etc and I think some were living in the upholstery. When I had my first daughter she didn't see any difference between moths or butterflies or any other insect and I tried to be like her - didn't want to pass on my hang up about them!

But, try as I might, I still find them strangely disconcerting.....imageimage

I didn't used to like anythiung flying around me Fg but I found IDing them , birds 9r moths, improved things. That pic is an Elephant hawkmoth. The humming bird one had never stayed still long enough for a photo shoot

I know it's completely irrational nut-  it's the only insect I have any problem with! Perhaps you're right - I should check out the names and habits etc just like I did with butterflies when I was attracting them into the garden for the first time.image

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...could anyone tell me what moths these are please...?  photos taken 3 years ago on Lily 'Casa Blanca'.. late evening/dark... the moths were swarming over the flowers but most flew off just as I took the photo...  I've since got rid of the lillies due to lily beetle...or rather, they got rid of them... thank you...

Silver Ys, day flying moths. So called because of the silver Y on the wings

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..oh thank you... I've never heard of those, fairly common though I suppose... I thought they might be Hawk Moths... it was almost dark when I took the photo...

..strange to call them 'day flying' isn't it..