SEVERELY overgrown garden

I let my first ever garden go without weeding pretty much all summer... I would like to try again next year but have to clear out this thick jungle entirely first.... What is the best way to do this?
Also, there will be snow on the ground in a couple weeks and I have NO time to properly pull everything out. Is it better just to let it wait until spring or should I do something now? Mow it down and smother it???
Thanks for your advice!!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,471

Good morning Ten and welcome image

We need to know a few more things about your garden

Whereabouts (roughly) is it?

What's the size?

Which way does it face?  Does it get sun or shade etc?

What's the soil like?

Is it well-drained or a bit of a bog or ... ?

What sort of weeds does your jungle consist of?

What do you want your garden to be like image

It would be really helpful if you could post a photo or two of the garden so we can get a better idea of your options.

To post a photo on here you need to click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post, and follow the instructions.  Afraid it doesn't work for iphones ... yet.

If it doesn't work give us a shout. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

Whatever you manage to do now will save you roughly three times the effort in the spring.

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,610

If you have overgrown grass and a dry day I would certainly cut it now because it will look awful by spring. In the borders there is no real alternative to pulling out. Could you get a gang of friends together and provide soup or cake - or both - as a bribe and then just go for it?

• Emma915Emma915 Posts: 95

Can you get rid of us much off the top as possible and then try lasagne layering?  Newspapers, old cardboard etc and covered with soil?