Forum home Plants

Clematis Montana

WillsWills Posts: 262

Hi Folks I have 3 fence panels hite 8 feet  & 9 feet wide I am looking for a Montana that is summer flowering white flowers & scented can any one recommend any that I can have  look at also how many Montana's will I need to cover the fence panels.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,161

Montana are among the first to flower. I would call them spring flowering. One would cover that space, I have one that goes up 20ft into a hawthorn.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

If you go to Taylors clematis website, you can search by colour. They give a lot of info regarding size and spread, and flowering times.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

Sarah Raven recommends Clematis montana wilsonii, for perfumed white flowers, flowering in May.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198

I'd agree with fidget's advice - montanas aren't particularly scented although they do have a slight fragrance. You'll often get another small flush of flowers in late summer/early autumn but they don't flower in summer.

One plant would cover that area within a few years, but you may want to add a couple of different varieties for summer and into autumn to give a succession of flowers. Taylor's have one of the best sites for info image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• WillsWills Posts: 262

Thanks for your replies I will have a look at the web sites you have recommended image & philippa will have a look at armandiiimage

• WillsWills Posts: 262

Hi Verdun will have a look image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,431

wills, why not grow C. Montana with sweet peas for summer colour / scent growing through it?

Devon.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,196

If you don't mind mauve flowers then Betty Corning flowers July to September and is scented with bell shaped flowers. I love it. Miss Christine is a white scented Montana, flowering May and June.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I was told by my Clematis supplier to plant my montanas ten feet from where I want them to flower so the sweet pea idea is a good one. They'll fill the "gap" at the bottom and you get the fragrance. (I'm going to steal that one!)image