Forum home Fruit & veg

Which root veg can overwinter?

I have leeks, salsify, root parsley and parsnip which can be left in the ground until required. However, I also have some carrots and beetroot some of which was planted in August from modules, hence small. How long can the carrots and beetroot stay in the ground? Are they at all frost tolerant? If not, when will I have to harvest them for storage?

Oh yes, and my salsify leaves are looking wilted. Is this usual? I don't think it is, but I'm not sure. Those I have harvested have been modest sized, or badly forked and not really useable possibly due to the stony soil, although parsnip has done okay, so maybe the compost was too rich.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Hi pull the carots,beetroot before the ground freezes. It's stones that make them fork.image
  • Our carrots are already being eaten by slugs so leaving them in the ground will produce a result of Slugs-All; Us-None.

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Thanks all. Yes, slugs are an issue but I keep the area clear of detritus under which they can shelter. My problem is splitting carrots due to the rain.