Advice please

Hi everybody. I've just inherited my first greenhouse from the lady next door. It's 8ft by 5ft and is sitting on the patio so all planting must be done in pots. I really would like to grow some fruit, but I'm not sure what's possible in an unheated greenhouse. Any advice regarding what fruit, when to plant etc would be most appreciated. 

Thanks to all in advance.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,600

Peaches and nectarines can be grown in pots in greenhouses. Apple, plums and pears are better outside.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Thanks for that Fidgitbones. I presume I should plant them in the Spring.

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,612

You can use a greenhouse for early strawberries.

• janebaljanebal Posts: 126

Could you say more about growing strawberries in a greenhouse, Posy. Mine have been eaten by birds and slugs outside. Do you grow them in pots and if so do they need large pots?

• You can use growbags for strawberries

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,612

Growbags are easier, I think, but you can use pots. The main idea is that they are warmer than their outdoor cousins and free from pests and muck. Commercial growers often grow them in polytunnels on benches for these reasons. You could winter them in the ground then dig them up as growth starts in early spring, pot them up - or into growbags - and you get clean, early fruit. I'm not sure about feeding, but I think tomato food is probably OK. It's worth a try!

• janebaljanebal Posts: 126

Thanks, I will try this with my strawberries in the Spring as I have lots of runners.

• Thanks everybody. I'll certainly try the strawberries in the growbags.