rods to make plant supports a la monty this week

I have been trying all day to locate 5mm rods to make some plant supports as seen on gardeners world this week haven't found any yet so thought I might see if anyone can help

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Hi Carole, I was interested too (I thought he said 6mm) and will search round builders merchants.  They are used for reinforcing concrete so probably not available from the usual diy places.  Good luck and if you find them first let me knowimage

• I believe it was 6mm image 

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 877

A quick google suggests that you can get these on amazon - try searching for 6mm mild steel rods. The 3 reviews are all from people who have used them to make plant supports.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

Haven't seen Monty or his supports but how about these?

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/border-restraint-seconds-pid7647.html

I bought some recently and the are very good.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 877

At present the HH ones are £15 - £21 for 12 if you buy the seconds, which seems a pretty good price. I have two sets of these which I bought before seeing Monty's suggestion but was just curious about where you could get rods so did some quick researching

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Now to find a perfectly shaped tree trunk to have a go at bending them around! Great idea. Please let us know how you get on. 

• Just ordered some rods from a steel fabricaters,I found the number in the yellow Pages director. 6mm thick,2.5meters long of mild steel, £2 a rod.

I hope this helps.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

Now that Caparo and Tata are closing down all over the country there must be tonnes of mild steel lying around waiting for a home.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,433

I get mine from a local builders' merchant.  There are two thicknesses bu the finer 5 or 6mm are easy for me to bend round a handy railway sleeper.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • sandyvsandyv Posts: 72

I plan to do this too, but an engineering friend thought 6mm would be too thick and too hard to bend? Is it