Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Landscaping cost

I have a garden that measures 12x11m. It is overgrown with long grass, weeds and has the odd rock or tree dotted in it.

I have decided to get it landscaped as I cannot do the work myself and to have a very low maintenance finish.

One half is uneven concrete so that is being left for now as I'm sure I can only afford one half at a time. I plan to have a 3ft border around the outside consisting of pebbles or slate (I have cats so it needs to be big sized stones).

All in all we are looking at clearing and levelling, turfing around 90m2, Shingle 24m2, new paving 8m2.

What can I expect in terms of cost for this amount of work??

Many thanks in advance! 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

more if you're in Surrey than if you're in Devon. image

Devon.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

My friends had their small garden laid out, twenty years ago and it cost them 6000.00 and that's Devon prices. My dad and I cleared all the brambles and weeds and removed them in return for their greenhouse.

this work does not come cheap. professionals will do it properly, good foundations to the patio area etc. 

having said that, you may find someone unemployed/ self employed wanting a bit of cash in hand, best get three of four quotes, don't let them give you an estimate, must be a quote.

You may find a family work party works out better.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

you get a day for that in Devon.image

Devon.
  • Make an exact list of everything you want doing. Adding anything after the price .is given is expensive. Our neighbour had a smallish patio and a border round costing 10,000. But it looked good and you do forget the price in time if the quality is there. Anything added was put on top. Good luck
  • when you get the quotes ask for references from previous clients (and if the have one look at their work portfolio)

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    The ;uneven concrete' bit bothers me - that will make more work removing it and infilling the space if it is underpinned by bottoming. Presumably you intend to put grass in the space? . Make sure the quotes factor in the skip hire. Because of the concrete, not sure how you will be able to divide the job into 2 except one half is the clearing and levelling and the second half is laying the turf and the patio.

Finger in the air price would be about 1500 pounds but that is Scottish prices. Add skip hire and paving slabs on top maybe.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

If we are lucky we can get a man for day at a slave auction.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

If you prepare the area for lawn yourself and sow grass seed instead of laying turf, you'll save a whack. If you're unable to do the main prep yourself, most gardeners ( gardening companies) will do it, but make sure they don't get too fancy with you. All you need is some basic labouring for that, so perhaps family members or friends would help out.

pansyface image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

imho , it's like saying ,"I'm looking to buy a car, how much will it cost"

Devon.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Pansy - I actually did laugh out loud at that!  Amazing what a couple of well-chosen emoticons can do. image