Forum home Talkback

Folklore

2»

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

Well. I'll go to the foot of our stairs!  I was convinced (in what passes for my mind) that all quarter days were on the 25th:  March, June, September and December!

Humble pie now being consumed - 29th it is!  Of September!  And I won't forget that in a hurry.

Mind you, I doubt that the image gives a fig about the exact date LOL 

• I was always told not to pick poppies as a child or I owuld wet the bed. Not sure where that came from...

Its unlucky to bring holly & Ivy into the house before christmas eve.

I would have thought the michaelmas one would be good to follow for the sake of the birds.

• Bushman2Bushman2 Posts: 548

In Scotland foresters are always reluctant to cut Rowan trees as they were said to contain the souls of people if you trimmed a branch you apologised to the tree. 

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Yew trees in Churchyards, said to keep the devil away, more likely to stop the farmer getting some free grazing.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,828

Just as well there are enough gorse species and some flowers on and off - so it can flower all year!

Here is France they have box, not yew, in the cemeteries. They use box on Palm Sunday instead of palm crosses, but I don't know why. Must look it up.

In France you don't give people chrysanthemums in bouquets as they are mostly grown for the feast of All Saints and people put pots of them on graves.

I've done several of the forbidden things, like lilac in the house and red and white flowers!

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.