Forum home The potting shed

A Point of View

I've enjoyed Will Self's run on this Sunday morning programme on Radio 4.

I thought that this morning's programme on his and our relationship with gardens and gardening was worth flagging up - you can listen to it by clicking on this link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06gxysx

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,299

It's also on the BBC news app 

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,839

I’ve always regarded Will Self to be a smug intellectual unhappy with life unhappy with himself and yes he even brought this country's imperialism into the subject of gardening, what I would say to Will is give it up old chap because you will never win no one is impressed by your moaning tone at least no one that I consider to be reasonable isn’t. He goes to prove a point that I have always believed in that those who can, do and those that can't be bothered just talk about it.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I failed to appreciate his point of view. Toffs talking bo****ks again. If he wants to live in concrete jungle then let him. 

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

I listened to it but didn't have a clue what he was trying to say! Did he spend 10 minutes to just say that he's not into gardening? 

• Daryl, that was exactly the same thought that crossed my mind. image

• “Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?” —Betsy Cañas Garmon
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,943

Haven't heard the programme yet, but I have read several of his novels and think he is an excellent writer.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,415

I found the voice tedious. I could only manage a couple of minutes.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I read the article on the BBC website but also concluded that basically he just doesn't like gardening.

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

might be better had he mimedimage