Forum home The potting shed

A Point of View

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,496

I've enjoyed Will Self's run on this Sunday morning programme on Radio 4.

I thought that this morning's programme on his and our relationship with gardens and gardening was worth flagging up - you can listen to it by clicking on this link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06gxysx

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,376

It's also on the BBC news app 

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,501

I’ve always regarded Will Self to be a smug intellectual unhappy with life unhappy with himself and yes he even brought this country's imperialism into the subject of gardening, what I would say to Will is give it up old chap because you will never win no one is impressed by your moaning tone at least no one that I consider to be reasonable isn’t. He goes to prove a point that I have always believed in that those who can, do and those that can't be bothered just talk about it.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I failed to appreciate his point of view. Toffs talking bo****ks again. If he wants to live in concrete jungle then let him. 

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

I listened to it but didn't have a clue what he was trying to say! Did he spend 10 minutes to just say that he's not into gardening? 

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,799

Daryl, that was exactly the same thought that crossed my mind. image

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,003

Haven't heard the programme yet, but I have read several of his novels and think he is an excellent writer.

Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568

I found the voice tedious. I could only manage a couple of minutes.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,197

I read the article on the BBC website but also concluded that basically he just doesn't like gardening.

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

might be better had he mimedimage