Show me your rockeries!

2»

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,494

That is beautiful, Pansy.

And thank you Berghill. I couldn't get the second link to work - does that show the final result of the first one too? Couldn't help but notice that lovely bench - did you make that?

Here is my pile of rocks, dug up from around the garden. There's about as many again in the front garden, used as path edging (typical 40s house).

I agree that many 'rockeries' look hideous, I was using that term a little tongue in cheek. But I'd like to find a use for these rocks that doesn't jar, and I figured that as I love alpines but don't have the garden for them really, I might be able to marry the two things together.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 849

I hardly dare to post a picture of mine after all these comments but we really had no choice to construct it as the waterfall and pond were there already and we needed something to support the bank. It's only been done recently so isn't planted up yet though - most of what's growing there is weeds at the moment!

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

Haven't seen many "currant buns" so far HF. It seems to me if you're going to go for it.....go big time! (I was left a currant bun in my very first garden and my very first garden project was....clear it!)

Pansyface that is mind blowing!!!!!! Your planting is stunning and so natural looking. That wee foxglove just looks like it popped up there all by itself!

SG quite a few tips for planting there once your weeds move out. image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,674

Thank you. The foxglove did just pop up all by itself.image All my best plants are the ones with a will to live.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

I'm all for that! If a plant likes it enough to grow there of it's own volition....I tend to just leave it.

Says she who takes a fame thrower to her paving image 

You know what I mean though.image

• B3B3 Posts: 10,735

I'm with you there Pp. I try not to fight nature too much . Plants that seed in an otherwise inhospitable spot are always welcome!

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,674

Thank you very much, snow. A lot can be put down to the time of year. It looks pretty dull right now.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,494

Was thinking of this thread as I pondered my 'rocks' again today. Then remembered the story I heard of my great grandfather's rockery. Monumental masonry was the family business, so you might be able to imagine what the rockery was made of...  yes, any off cuts of marble or carvings that went wrong. Apparently names and dates cold be seen poking out of the soil! Somewhat macabre.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 57,151

I think that's rather fun LG (perhaps I have an odd sense of humour image)

Rather appropriate for this weekend! image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh