Show me your rockeries!

LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,482

I have some rocks (they might be concrete... but they look rocky) and I love alpines etc. But I cant think of a way to make a rockery fit (ie look right) in my garden. So I'm looking for inspiration - please post photos of the ways in which you grow such plants in your space.

Thank you. 

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,490

Show me your rookeries !!!    I most certainly will not.   How very dare you !  imageimage

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,482

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,318

It may be tufa.

When we moved to Derbyshire we found that the garden was full of lumps of grey, blobby, bubbly stuff. I imagined that the previous owners had been doing something creative with old bags of cement. I was about to throw them into a skip when a local said how lucky we were to have so much (local) tufa in the garden. It turns out that people pay good money for it. We kept it, since it is relatively local (quarried 5 miles away) but it's a magnet for weeds.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,262

totally agree with Verdun.

For every good rockery you see, you'll see hundreds of hideous "currant buns"

"what shall we do with this soil we've got from digging out the pond? foundations for the extention etc etc. Lets ram some bits of stone into it and call it a rockery"image

A rockery should mimic a natural stone outcrop, ie almost all rock with the tiniest of plant pockets.

Devon.

It helps if your garden is rock to begin with.image

Everything here is growing on rock.

Thank you Verdun. I shall frame your comments.image

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,169

slideshow here of how I created one of our 'rockeries' The rocks are all glacial erratics so not two are the same type.

http://s703.photobucket.com/user/Owdboggy/slideshow/New%20Paths

And how I built a Crevice style garden using concrete slabs.

http://s703.photobucket.com/user/Owdboggy/slideshow/The%20New%20Crevice%20Garden

• Liz88Liz88 Posts: 40

Pansy, that's lovely!