Forum home Plants

Cyclamen from seed

kathy 6kathy 6 Posts: 261

I want to grow some hardy cyclamen from seed as I need quite a large amount, seen some on the net very reasonable price  but before I buy how easy are they, I've read they can take a long time to germinate, but some say don't cover the seed as they need light to germinate on here it says keep them somewhere dark?

Has anyone else had experience of growing them?

• I have germinated some from seed. They need completed darkness to germinate. As they rely on ants to take the seeds into the ground. Most took about 3 weeks to germinate, last 3 took more like 6 weeks. They grow slowly after that. I just haven't had much luck keeping the young plants alive after their 2nd/3rd leaves. Out of 12 seeds ,11 germinated, I only have 2 small plants left.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

I suggest buying one in flower now and letting it seed, they sort themselves out very nicely and germinate like mustard and cress. One plant will cost no more than a packet of seeds.

• I have grown them from seed, I kept them in darkness in a cool place, and there was a good germination rate. I checked on them occasionally and brought them into light when they had germinated.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,899

All I ever do is to take the seeds (need fresh ones by the way) and scatter them on the gravel garden. Don't be in too big a hurry to prick them out when they germinate either. When I grew them in seed trays I often left them until the corms were a good inch across and distorting the pot!

If you do buy seeds, soak them in warm soapy water overnight before sowing. They need darkness as said and a constant temp of 16c.

If you lived near me you could come and help yourself to plants, they are getting to be weeds!

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,422

I agree with Nut - I planted out a couple of pot grown cyclamen several years ago and they have seeded themselves all over the place.

• kathy 6kathy 6 Posts: 261

Thanks for the advice everyoneimage I think after reading all your comments I'll buy 2 or 3 plants instead, shouldn't think the seed that's for sale now will be fresh enough will it? Sounds very similar to my efforts to grow Hellebore's with no success now after buying a few plants over the years they self seed everywhere. So am I right in thinking hederifolium are the best hardy ones for autumn flowering and coum for spring?

Shame I don't live near you Berghill that would've been great, I have a small wooded area I want to grow them in, plenty of things in the spring snowdrops, bluebells etc but wanted some splashes of olour in the autumn too image

My hederifolium start flowering July/August, usually after a rain, and keep going til nearly Christmas. Coum often have the odd flower for the New Year's Day flower count.image

• kathy 6kathy 6 Posts: 261

Thanks nut they're the two I'll go for thenimage

They're the most reliably hardy 2image

PMd you Kathy

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,899

hederifolium do well in a woodland setting, but coum do prefer more sun. If you are anywhere slightly less prone to hard frosts then C. repandum is a good woodlander.