Forum home Plants

Cutting Verbena

I'm after opinions on pruning Verbena bonariensis. Mine is *still* flowering and in the past I'd read cut it back in March but I've since read some say cut it autumn 'after flowering'. Also when you cut it how low so you go ? I've cut it low and lost plants in the past but when I've cut it higher it's only sprouted from near the cuts and not the base which gives a straggly plant.

What do you do ?

Thanks

• Hi Jay Tee

I would  not cut them down just yet. This plants is not a perennial so treat it as an annual. It will self seed over autumn and new growth from these seeds will reappear in early summer. The original plant will die back and will not flower again 

Hope  this helps as they are a beautiful, graceful plant for the boarder 

• Jay TeaJay Tea Posts: 27

I've never thought of them as an annual but a short-lived perrenial, mine are in their second year and are better than they were in their first. In my last garden they tended (bad winters permitting) to last about 3 years.

• chris 172chris 172 Posts: 403

Hi i let mine flower until they are finished on my allotment.  They are an amazing plant and the butterflies they attract are beautiful. 

I cut mine down level and they come back stronger.  I will take a picture and post today one i have is at least 6ft High

Its hard to believe the plant size when you are fumbling with the seed which is tiny

Happy gardening

• Jay TeaJay Tea Posts: 27

Yeah mine are 7ft + too.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,315

They self-seed all over my garden I'm pleased to say.

I have hundreds in flower atm  - a beautiful haze of purple in the autumn sun.
    I also grow V Rigida amongst some very deep red roses - they send out runners and and are a much smaller version of bonariensis with mauve flowers - also very beautiful.

I find v.bonariensis and rigida come back year after year

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,889

Perennial here too, as long as they're somewhere with adequate drainage to cope with winter rain and cold soil. Having other planting round them also helps to stop them turning up their toes in very cold spells.. 

I cut them back in spring if I want to keep them at a reasonable height. Leaving them till then gives them a bit of protection from bad weather. You can cut some back again later on and use that material as cuttings. They 'take' very easily in gritty compost. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,876

mine self seed like weeds , but I love them.

Also 7ft +.

I leave mine as long as they are upright as birds, esp goldfinches love the seeds. 

If they get moved by wind, I'll cut them back then, but usually they're ok until they get a good hard chop in Spring. 

Some of mine have been there for 3 years now since I planted the first lot.

Devon.
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Glad this question was asked as I've purchased one today! A local garden centre is closing down and the are flogging everything at heavy discounts. £3.99 for a really large plant, in flower. Also bagged a pear tree for £10 and a lovely standard rose at £8! Seeds half price too so I stocked up on all sorts. Lovely jubley! 

• chris 172chris 172 Posts: 403

hi everyone

i have to say this is one of my favourite flowers so Outspoken and at the allotment tonight they looked fab

happy gardening to all