Forum home Plants

Winter colour for a pot located in shaded northern exposure

Hi, Please can anyone help?

I am in the final stages of a complete modernisation of my home and garden.

Contemporary Modern, very crisp clean finish.

I want to create some colour / interest with a hanging trough under my window, which has northern exposure, nearly all shade in the winter.  Flowering plants ideally bold reds or striking bold spikey grasses, are what I would love!  After nearly 3 hours searching on Google, I'm still without a suitable plant or plants.  The trough will be about 150 cm wide by 30 cm deep out from the wall,  Plants could grow up to 30 cm tall. Any advice would be brilliant !!!  Thank you image

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,126

Heucheras do well in shady conditions and come in all shades from bright lime green to fiery reds and deep purples.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,190

Hi Natalie, some of the grasses would do well. I've used Carex oshimensis 'Evergold' in containers - nice green/cream variegation and forms a mound about 30cm height .

I'd suggest five in your trough with small trailing ivies in between at the front and some of the big Joan of Arc white crocus amongst the ivy to give a strong modern look. You can also get cream crocus which are usually smaller, but the J of A ones are big and would stand out well among the foliage. The Carex and ivy are evergreen so you'd have that all year round. Alternatively, you could use some of the red species tulips instead of crocus - Red Riding Hood is easily available. These will all be fine in that aspect too. There are also daffs/narcissus in pale  colours which you could plant at the back to give a succession of flowers. 

Box balls would also do  the job instead of the Carexes, and you can trim them to keep them in shape. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Wow, Thank you both!!  Those suggestions sound perfect! I'll be purchasing tomorrow image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,190

Just an additional thought Natalie - even though your trough is facing north and therefore won't get dried out too quickly, you'll need to keep an eye on it re watering. It'll be in the shelter of the house wall, so don't rely on rainwater alone to keep it moist  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....