Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Fungi in lawns

I, too, have long wondered how I could introduce known edible mushroom species into my lawn as it really does support a bewildering array of fung. If the conditions are good enough for locally wild mushrooms is there a known, easily identifiable edible species I could introduce?
Cooking with fresh mushrooms, as opposed to the bland, tasteless varieties offered in the shops would be an absolute pleasure!


  • For those of you who might not want mushrooms on the lawn - We were troubled with fungi on the lawn and were told that there was nothing avilble to kill them. My husband having noticed that wallpaper paste contained fungicide, diluted paste until it was liguid and poured that on the fungi and they went away!! So if you can't eat them or have small children who are likely to, as we had at the time, a solution. (Excuse the pun)
  • We have got a lot of mushrooms this year, growing in the borders and lawn,but like you i would be too afraid to try them. When you read the horror stories of people eating them and then dying because they've been poisoned, it puts me off.I would need a funghi expert to reasure me they were ok !!
  • Are you completely MAD!?!?Only someone who's QUALIFIED should even consider eating any type of fungus growing wild or in a garden.That's why we have mushrooms etc for sale in markets and shops - BECAUSE THEY WON'T KILL US!!!!!
  • p.s. anyone who thinks all shop/market bought mushrooms are bland and tasteless 1; is going to the wrong retailer and 2; can't cook!!get rid of the toadstools because children find them facinating and any 'free' meal shouldn't be a reason to risk death[v.painful at that] my son's a MPharm-and he knows...
  • Having just moved house, we have a "Strawberry Tree" bush in the garden, which is approx.16' high, how would we cut it back, advise please. Many thanks
  • Hi definately go on an organised walk and find out more of what fungi you can and cannot eat. I went on one on Saturday 18th October, however I still will not eat any of them as it is still so hard to correctly identify the ones you can eat, not only that some fungi are ok for some people to eat but cause problems for others. I enjoyed the walk and talk though
  • It seems to me that all those who have blogs on this site might enjoy, a free social network site for information and contacts.
  • my son is 22 and living at home whilst studying History at MA; never the best of eaters he has started to improve and loves mushrooms but I would never ever take fungi from the garden as I could not risk health. My late father said he knew which were safe but somehow never did go out into the fields however delicious he said they were so better safe than sorry rather a trip to the supermarket than to the hospital. I would welcome tips to get rid of fungi once and for all as cutting them out lasts only one year and they are coming up in several places now. A very ameuter gardner I have for years grown tomatoes for green tomato chutney but this year having had a heart triple by-pass they seemed to be late and whilst we had no chutney we actually had fresh red tomatoes - they were delicious and no problems - therefore stick to something you know and everyone is happy...!
  • Many people around here collect wild mushrooms from our local common. There are problems with correct identification but when you have resolved that problem you will enjoy them immensely.
  • I've never had any fungi in my lawn,but in September noticed half a dozen bright orange ones.I took a photo and when visiting my friend,looked them up in her husbands reference books(He used to be Presdent of the Mycological Society so I knew that I was bound to find the correct information)I identified them as Hygrocybe nigrescens,and are edible,infrequent,and occur in late summer to autumn.The main identifier is the fact that they turn black and disappear,hence their name.Mine did just that and disappeared as quickly as they had appeared.
Sign In or Register to comment.