Forum home Tools and techniques

trowel

My newish, not particularly cheap  WS stainless steel trowel has just snapped at the weld.  Although working with clay, I had not abused it so I'm feeling peeved.  Can anyone advise what to look for or avoid?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,200

Try to find one which is made from a single piece of metal, with no welds or rivets joining the handle to the blade. I can snap one of those welded stainless steel types in no time even in our soft silty soil.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,511

I find the Wolf trowels very sturdy and their red handles make them easier to find when I put them down somewhere and forget.  You can pay more for something smarter but sturdy does it for me but for my hand fork I like a stainless steel one as it does well in all my soils which range from heavy clay to loam and well composted veggie plots.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 11,529

Thanks for advice chaps. I like to use a stainless steel fork too.  I have a plastic trowel that I got free with a magazine, probably GW, that is pretty strong but it's shaped more like a scoop. I don't really trust it not to snap though. Will look out for the Wolf

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

The main thing for me is having a comfortable handle.  Consider the advice above and judge how it feels in your handimage.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,756

you beat me to it Lesley. Feel it in your hand , you want it to be comfortable and have a nice balance to it, otherwise you'll end up with sore wrists.

Devon.
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Ooh, and you were up earlier than me this morning Hostaimage

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,756

but I went back to bed image

Devon.