Forum home The potting shed

The last of the Bordeaux mixture

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,752

and all we've got is David " call me Dave" Cameron!!!!!

Devon.
  • Indeed. That probably needs another forum!

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface Posts: 21,569

I used to teach French air traffic controllers English for their state-required two-week annual English course.  Not one of them needed a two-week, annual English course. They all spoke excellent English. But "it is the law". The number of times I heard "it is the law" coming from the mouths of French people. I discovered that roadside asparagus sellers must wrap their little bunches in red, white and blue ribbon, for example, and no other ribbon, string, elastic band or bit of old gubbins because "it is the law".

A law for everything and not one observed so far as I could tell.

Don't get me started on our own political system.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.
  • Mel MMel M Posts: 347

Bordeax mixture is still for sale on e-bay. You can purchase it already made up or as two packs which you make up yourself. Cheap as well.

• pansyfacepansyface Posts: 21,569

Well if they are based in the EU they are breaking the law. The RHS website has this to say of Bordeaux mixture:

"Please note: This product is being withdrawn and cannot be sold after the 30th November 2014 and remaining stocks must be used or disposed of before the 30th November 2015."

I for one am not going to be buying any on ebay.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,178

I shall put the disposal date in my diary image and dispose of the mixture as if I were in France!

• Mel MMel M Posts: 347

Looking at the RHS web-site, as far as I can tell it is VITAX bordeaux mixture which is being taken off the market and must be used by 30th of November. No mention of seperate packs of chemicals which you mix yourself being illegal. Grey area? More to the point, why is it being taken off the market anyway? It has been around for donkeys years with no complaint. What have they found out now?

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I suspect that what they've found out is that they can make more money from selling something different.  Or am I just an old cynic?

Hostafan1 wrote (see)

I seem to remember from back in my GC working days, it's all about testing.

Even though it's been used for decades , it has never been put through the new tests and no manufacturer is prepared to pay , I believe £100s of thousands of pounds to then let all their competitors start production again. 

I remember thinking, back in the day, "why don't they all just have a pool of money and get it tested ?"

but I might be wrongimage

Devon.