The last of the Bordeaux mixture

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,545

Just used the last of the Bordeaux mixture on the apple trees. We live in the canker capital of the UK, I think, and several of my trees get it at the drop of a hat, but it's going to be illegal to use Bordeaux mixture to combat it as of next month.

Bordeaux mixture has been used for generations of gardeners, who have all lived to tell the tale. It's not poisonous to bees either. OK, if you happen to have an aquarium strapped to the branches of your Granny Smith's then the fish will feel the effects.

But explain this to me. How come the governments of the world are happy to let us inhale nicotine by the tonne but we are deemed too thick to avoid inhaling Bordeaux mixture?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,539

I seem to remember from back in my GC working days, it's all about testing.

Even though it's been used for decades , it has never been put through the new tests and no manufacturer is prepared to pay , I believe £100s of thousands of pounds to then let all their competitors start production again. 

I remember thinking, back in the day, "why don't they all just have a pool of money and get it tested ?"

but I might be wrongimage

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,545

Similarly, on the line of "no money in it", I heard from a relative who has been undergoing treatment for bladder cancer in Australia. One part of the treatment involved injecting live TB (BCG) vaccine into his bladder. Three shots of it seemed to do the trick but when he went back for continuing treatment he was told that there was no more to be had in Australia. It turns out that the vaccine was developed in the 19th century and many of the factories which still make it are of about that era and are "substandard" now. As nobody can claim a copyright or patent on BCG, and make loadsa dosh, nobody is prepared to invest in new, modern factories to make more. So no BCG, sorry folks.

What an Alice in Wonderland world we live in these days.

Incidentally, I have just read online that I could possibly make my own Bordeaux mixture if I could lay my hands on some copper sulphate and some hydrated lime.image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

That's what you need and I daresay your local chemist could supply them.  Or maybe a good hardware shop, if you can find one.  Or a tame lab tech from your local school.

Probably illegalised by Brussels.

Probably.

Really? image 

• I didn't realise that Bordeaux mixture would soon become "obsolete" for domestic use!  It is classified as "organic" and its alarming blue colour was, so I was led to believe, because the vine-growing region of Bordeaux needed a deterrent from casual grape "scrumping". 

It is extremely good in combating, amongst other things, blight on tomatoes.  I have used it  few times (probably no more than two or three times in a couple of decades) when my tomatoes were struck with the dreaded blight.  I still have some (Bordeaux not blight) in a container, and will retain it for future use if necessary!

Sounds to me a bit like Armillatox, which was promoted for dealing with vine weevils.  Since the company couldn't afford the excessive testing fees, it is now sold as a general-purpose garden disinfectant  But it is still very effective for the dreaded weevils.  (But I have never used it on edibles).

• We can still use it in France, fortunately. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,539

yeah but in France you just ignore EU regulations you don't like. image

How very wise of you all.

Devon.
  • It's one of the reasons I love France so much. It is virtually an art form, Hosta, the application and subsequent subversion of so many EU rules. Happy days!