Forum home Wildlife gardening

Cleaning out a pond

Please could someone tell me what is the best time of year to clean out my pond? There are no fish in there but frogs, newts & various Things I haven't ID'd yet.

I don't want to disturb anything while they're breeding so I'm guessing that this time of year is a no-no (shame as it's lovely and hot!). There is a lot of sludge at the bottom from leaves falling in it, and I would very much like to find my concrete toad which fell in there a couple of years ago.

Thanksimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850

You could clear out some sludge, sort through it and put back anything that moves. I do that in patches, a bit at a time. 

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

I'd stir it up slightly to left the sludge from the bottom and do a particle water change. Do this a couple of times, from now til late August and over time your pond should become clearer.

Really you shouldn't clean ponds by emptying the water fully. This upsets the balance and causes many problems. If possible use only rain water to refill, as tap water can start algal blooms.

Failing that, fill buckets/tubs/kids pools with tap water and let it sit for a week or two. Get yourself a big sieve to strain and catch any wildlife, and count the buckets of water.

This is the best way of changing water without too much disturbance.Oh, and don't go crackers when you start to stir up the sludge.

and even if it looks ugly put it back.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,970

nut- I should have followed that advice when my ex fell in .......image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

Ooops, chose a few wrong words in my post. Must be getting late. image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Try and keep the leaves out of the pond; when they rot they produce 'orrible gas!

Fairygirl wrote (see)

nut- I should have followed that advice when my ex fell in .......image

We never think of these things til it's too late image

• maryplainmaryplain Posts: 45

I don't want to change the water or anything drastic like that, I was going to scoop out the sludge and do as nutcutlet suggested, try to repatriate anything alive as I go. But I don't want to go stirring up the bottom of the pond if there's anything likely to be hatching eggs or anything in there.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,141

I think that if you must do it, late summer/early autumn is the time to be doing it. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

that's the best time. sludge is part of its eco system though so go easy.